During rail replacement operations in winter 2006, the halt was used for access and material storage.  The railway was completed in February 1890.  It quickly found use in carrying various goods including coal, ice, sand, granite, cement, petrol and paraffin. As the 19th century progressed, it was apparent that the cliffs were restricting the transport of goods between the villages and deterring prospective visitors.  Each car has a 700-imperial-gallon (3,182 L; 841 US gal) tank mounted between the wheels. The collapse, caused by a combination of heavy rain, freezing conditions, and high winds, deposited debris onto the track; the railway was not operating at the time. The cliffs posed difficulties for the burgeoning tourist industry in the region. , Construction started in 1887. Usually, the tanks are empty at the beginning of the journey. Thankfully, some still operate to this day. Ponies, donkeys and carriages were available for hire, but the steep gradients led to the animals having short working lives. The Leas Lift is a grade II* listed funicular railway that carries passengers between the seafront and the promenade in Folkestone, Kent.Originally installed in 1885, it is one of the oldest water lifts in the UK.  Larger freight items, including motor cars, were moved by the railway into the late 1950s. A cutting was excavated in the limestone cliff to form the trackbed and three bridges were built over it to carry existing cliff paths. The lower platform was fitted with inter-connected hydraulic buffers - the arriving down car would push the water from its pair of buffers through a narrow pipe into the opposite pair, thus setting them for the next descending car. Halfway up the incline is a passing bay where increased separation of the tracks allows the car to pass. , In April 2018, the cliff railway was briefly closed for safety checks following a landslip near the middle bridge. , The railway has two cars, each carrying up to 40 passengers. , Coordinates: 51°13′53″N 3°50′04″W / 51.2314°N 3.8344°W / 51.2314; -3.8344. A few examples of water-power funiculars still operating are the Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway, in North Devon (operating since 1890), the Bom Jesus do Monte Funicular in Braga, Portugal (operating since 1882), the Leas Lift in Kent, England (operating since 1885), the Nerobergbahn in Wiesbaden, Germany (operating since 1888), the Saltburn Cliff Lift in North Yorkshire, England (operating since 1884), and the Funiculaire Neuveville-St.Pierre in Fribourg, Switzerland (operating since 1899). , The parallel 3 ft 9 in (1,143 mm) gauge tracks rise 500 feet (152.4 m) and are 862 feet (262.7 m) long, giving the line a gradient of 1:1.724 (58%). The track uses Bullhead rails. “Landslip closes Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway.”, “Proposed 1300 kW hydroelectric scheme - Objection.”, “Lynton and Lynmouth cliff railway receives award.”, "Classic cars taken up Lynton and Lynmouth cliff railway", “Classic cars to be carried up Lynmouth Cliff Railway.”, “Lynton and Lynmouth cliff railway closed after landslip.”, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lynton_and_Lynmouth_Cliff_Railway&oldid=983465065, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 14 October 2020, at 11:16. The lift operates using water and gravity and is controlled from a small cabin at the top of the cliff. All Rights Reserved. The Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway is a water-powered funicular railway joining the twin towns of Lynton and Lynmouth on the rugged coast of North Devon in southwest England. Once passengers have loaded at both stations, water is added to the tank in the upper car until it begins to descend, hauling the lower car up the incline. © Amusing Planet, 2020. Some historic funiculars made the system even more energy-efficient by using water as the motive force. The civil engineer George Croydon Marks played a key role in both its design and bringing in financing from his business partner, Sir George Newnes. , The cliff railway opened on Easter Monday, 7 April 1890, and has been in continuous use ever since.  When the descending car arrives at the lower station, its tank is emptied ready for the return journey. The system originally used single cables, but this was later replaced by double cables, presumably as a safety measure. , In 1888, an Act of Parliament authorised the formation of the Lynmouth & Lynton Lift Company. Most water-powered funicular needs water to be pumped up the hill to fill the tanks at the upper station, but in Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway the water is discarded and fresh water is taken from a nearby river requiring no pumping. The Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway is also unique. Robert Jones, was appointed the contractor to build the cliff railway; Jones also contributed to the system's design. Holidaymakers arrived at Lynmouth on paddle steamers from Bristol and Swansea and other ports in the Bristol Channel, from about 1820. Leas Lift in Kent, England. It was given the perpetual rights to extract up to 272,760 litres of river water from the Lyn Valley per day. The Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway releasing water from the tanks. Once a sufficient imbalance is achieved, the brakes are released and the funicular is set into motion solely by gravity. , In June 1995, the upper and lower waiting rooms were given Grade II listed status. In the late 1800s, interest arose in building a funicular or cliff lift to join them. Lynton and Lynmouth are separated by a high cliff, making it hard for people and goods to move between them. The high cliffs separating Lynton and Lynmouth made travel and economic development in the area difficult.  The wooden sleepers have since been replaced with modern concrete ones. The Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway is one of only three fully water powered railways in the world. The two cars on the funicular are attached by a cable, so when one car is at the top, one is at the bottom. The weight of the two cars counterbalances each other, so that only a minimal amount of energy is required to pull up the ascending car, which is usually provided by an electric motor. , An unusual feature is the halt just below Lynton station at North Walk which has road access.  Its construction was financed mainly by his business partner, publisher Sir George Newnes who owned a large residence at Hollerday Hill and who also backed the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 1898 and the construction of Lynton Town Hall in 1900. At the end of the journey, the descending car is emptied of water and the process is repeated. The scheme would have used a stationary steam engine at Lynton but was not progressed. Many water-powered funiculars were later fitted with electric motors. The Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway is a water-powered funicular railway joining the twin towns of Lynton and Lynmouth on the rugged coast of North Devon in southwest England. In 1885, another proposal was made for a pier and cliff lift.  The cars were horizontal platforms with sprung, demountable passenger carriage bodies on them. , Water is piped over 1 mile (1.6 km) from the West Lyn River through 5-inch (127 mm) diameter pipes to a storage reservoir at the upper station. While early use was largely focused on moving freight, the funicular railway became popular with tourists and it became mostly used for passenger travel. This historic funicular Cliff Railway is bronze winner of Devon's Large Attraction of the Year 2018. Former water-powered funicular railways converted to electricity (22 P) Pages in category "Water-powered funicular railways" The following 7 pages are in this category, out of 7 total.  The cars require no power to operate, and the system has a relatively low carbon footprint. Local contractor Robert Jones was involved in designing the funicular's innovative braking system and the line's construction and maintenance in the first decades of its operation. These funiculars have water tanks built under the floor of each car that could be filled or emptied to weigh them down just enough to allow movement. Most water-powered funicular needs water to be pumped up the hill to fill the tanks at the upper station, but in Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway the water is discarded and fresh water is taken from a nearby river requiring no pumping.